5 Best Combination Lock (Review and Buying Guide) For 2020
Last update on 2020-11-29 / Affiliate links / Ratings / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
There are tons of sellers in the market, claiming that their product is the best combination lock. We cannot believe their claims and just buy anything that looks nice until we see proof. It is our valuables at stake here, which is why we should pick the best for them.
For this reason, I lay out my favorite lock brand models that you should consider. These locks are the best for me because they passed the criteria I set that I will share with you later. In my experience, these locks protected my stuff efficiently.
Last update on 2020-11-29 / Affiliate links / Ratings / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
1. Anvil 3 Digit Luggage Cable Locks
I say that this combination paddle lock is one of the best because of its versatility and design. Its availability in four colors enables me to set code on my valuables, depending on their level of security.
- Easy to use and to set
- Available in four different colors
- Passing the loop through zipper holes is easy
- Not sturdy enough to secure something precious
- Sturdy materials made up the Anvil 3-Digit Combination Lock, which is a zinc alloy with shackle steel. These components improve the security of the lock by withstanding the wear and tear as you travel.
- This combination lock is flexible enough to go through any size of standard zipper holes, which makes it a versatile lock that you can use for all your luggage.
- The dials are easy to read because of the white-colored font on the black background, which enables you to set your combination accurately without squinting.
- It is a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) approved combination lock. Therefore, you should not worry about the personnel breaking your locks.
- It comes with the manufacturer’s lifetime guarantee. In case baggage personnel breaks your combination lock, Anvil will replace it.
- Padlock combination is easy to set. The combinations consist of 3-digit with the default of 0-0-0. You only have to use a screwdriver to compose your best combination.
2. Master Lock 178D Set
The Master Lock 178 is one of my best set your combination padlock because of the level of security it provides. We can choose the best combination among the 10,000 possibilities because of its 4-digit combination feature. Moreover, its composition is a hardened steel shackle that is difficult to break.
- Solid-body and shackle arms built
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Separate tool available for setting the new combination
- Easy to read
- Freedom to select our best 4-digit dial combination
- Inhibits rust formation
- Reliable for indoor or outdoor use
- Unclear pricing structure
- The Chinese manufacturer has a questionable human rights violation record
- The Master Lock 178D Set is one of the most versatile combination locks, which you can use indoor or outdoors, whether for gym, travel, or gate security usage.
- The dial is easy to read because of the gold font and the black background. You do not have to use a flashlight or eyeglasses to see it.
- It is highly durable because of the hardened steel shackle that gives the burglars a hard time destroying it.
- It comes with the desired tools to change the default and set your 4-digit security combination.
3. Master Lock M175XDLF Heavy Duty
The Master Lock M175XDLF Heavy Duty is indeed a lockmaster because of the full range of features it offers. Its composition is a hardened steel shackle that ensures the security of your belongings by protecting it from cutting or sawing.
You can set your combination to a simple to use dial at the bottom part of the lock. A hinge covers the dial that protects it from extreme weather.
- Recommended for outdoor use like camping or gym
- Extremely durable
- Does not fit perfectly to some stuff like storage rooms and sheds
- The shackle of hardened steel is solid and thick. Burglars will think twice before breaking your master lock.
- A hinge covers the dial that protects the font from rusts and weather. It ensures that we can always read the digit combination.
- This combination padlock makes use of materials like zinc alloy to ensure durability that can stand the test of weather.
- Makes use of a 4-digit dial combination that is easy to remember, which means that you do not have to use the desired tools to set your best combination.
- This combination lock is 50 percent stronger than hardened steel, which enhances the amount of security it provides.
4. Master Lock 1505D
The Master Lock 1505D is one of the best combination padlocks for me because of the various features it offers. Its simple to use 3-digit dial combination allows me to use this lockmaster to secure my belongings in places like the gym, camps, parks, and the like.
What I also love about this Master Lock model is its availability in different colors of plated steel and stainless steel materials that allows me to code the locks based on the security needed on my valuables. Because of the shackle steel component, this lock master will stand the test of time, weather, and breaking attempts.
- Durable build
- Availability in different colors
- Easy-to-use dial
- Opening and closing issues
- The 3-digit combination padlock is easy to use and to remember.
- It makes use of the anti-shim mechanism, stainless steel metal body, and solid shackle that enhance the lock’s security and strength against breaking attempts.
- The Master Lock 1505D is available in red, purple, blue, and green, which allow you to identify your locks based on the security needed for your belongings.
- We do not need the desired tools to set a dial combination.
5. Master Lock 5422D
Master Lock 5422D is one of my favorite combination padlocks because of its durability and convenience that allows me to mount it on my door easily.
The vinyl-coated shackle and molded bumper components can withstand the weather. The buttons allow us to choose a 4-digit combination to secure our stuff. Moreover, this Master Lock model comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Easy to use even under low light conditions
- Durable design
- Large buttons
- Alphanumeric passcode
- Limited storage capacity
- Entering the combination in any order can still open the latch
- Needs key for opening and closing the lock
- The Master Lock 5422D allows us to store essentials. No need to worry about forgetting where we put our keys if we can hide them in the Master Lock storage.
- The vinyl shackle and steel body makes it one of the best combination locks for outdoor and indoor use. We can use it in a gym, camp, or airport.
- This combination lock makes use of an alphanumeric combination for added security. It allows us to apply the best code combination that we can think of so that we can feel that our belongings are safe.
- This Master Lock model has a cover that protects the buttons from harsh elements, which ensures that the printed fonts are always clear to read.
6. Puroma 2 Pack Combination Lock
Puroma 2 is one of the best combination padlocks for me because of its durability and uniqueness. Unlike the typical lock products in the market, this combination padlock has a window at the side, which enables us to read the dial easily.
It is also easy to set and does not require the key to operate. It is available in black, red, and white, which allows us to code our stuff based on the security level. Moreover, it is durable enough to withstand human force for breaking attempts.
- Durably built of zinc alloy
- Comes in twos
- Resetting is difficult due to the locking mechanism
- This combination lock is easy to set. You can reset the combination of the padlock at any time.
- The 4-digit combination provides keyless security of 10000 combinations.
- It is a lightweight and compact combination padlock that we can take anywhere, such as traveling, going to the gym, and any other places.
- Its availability in different colors of black, red, and white allows us not only to be fashionable in our safety but also to code the security level needed for our stuff.
- Its steel zinc alloy and hardened shackle withstand breaking attempts.
7. Lion Locks 1500
Lion Lock 1500 is one of my favorite code combination padlocks because it makes me feel at ease. I do not have to worry about forgetting my keys or being locked out of the house. All I have to do is store the keys inside this lock. It is a portable box that I can mount anywhere I like, which makes it a useful lock that I can take anywhere, even to the gym.
Moreover, this combination lock makes use of numeric codes of 4 digits. The default code is 0-0-0-0, and we can reset it quickly to the best combination we like. We do not have to worry about security because it is durable enough to withstand the weather and human force.
- Simple to use
- Solid materials that add security
- Beginners might find it hard to understand the instructions
- Large keys might not fit inside the small interior
- This combination lock is durable. It can withstand breaking attempts and weather forces that might cause it to rust.
- It is one of the combination locks that are portable and convenient to use. I can take this lock anywhere and use it in about almost anything.
- The combination padlock of 4 digits allows us to create the best combination among the 10,000 possibilities, giving the thieves a hard time to figure it out.
- This combination padlock is available in 3 colors of orange, pink, and black. You can choose the best color that will complement your house design.
8. Master Lock 1535DWD
The Master Lock 1535DWD is a combination padlock that is among my favorites. Its durable steel shackle enables it to resist rusting and human breaking attempts. Its unique dial grip allows keyless security, which requires us to input letters instead of numbers.
We can use this combination lock anywhere, whether in a gym, locker, or school. The letter combinations make it one of the best combination locks that are easy to set. This lock is available in four color varieties of blue, black, pink, and light blue. This item comes in a lifetime warranty.
- Easy-to-set password
- Makes use of letters instead of numbers for easier recall
- Limited letters to use
- This Master Lock model has an anti-shim mechanism that protects the latch no matter which tool a burglar uses to break in its security.
- The plated steel makes it durable to withstand hammering and cutting
- The 4-color varieties of blue, black, pink, and light blue, allows us to choose the one that will look good on our bag or home.
- It is one of the few combination locks that require you to think of the best combination out of letters for easier recall.
Combination Locks Buying Guide
I chose these lists because they all worked for me. I needed something that would keep my valuables safe. Therefore, I did my research to find out how to look for the best lock that I could use to avoid burglars from stealing my stuff.
Like you, I never want my belongings to end up in the hands of thieves because I worked hard to afford to purchase them. Therefore, we can consider the best lock as an investment.
In my research, I found the guidelines that we should know when buying for the best lock.
Different Kinds of Padlock
Padlocks are a great choice because of its versatility and portability.
However, if you can invest in a jimmy-proof deadbolt, it is something that you prefer more installed on your door than a padlock. However, you cannot use a deadbolt on a backpack, and it is impractical to use on your locker.
For those purposes, you need a padlock, especially if you are an outdoor person traveling from places to places.
This article’s focus is on padlocks. I will help you determine what kind of lock that is best to use for your bags, luggage, locker, and the like.
Here are the different kinds of padlock:
- Combination Lock
A combination lock like the Master Lock 653D can make use of either a number, alphabet, or both sequence to unlock. It can be in the form of a multi-dial or single dial.
The single-dial combination lock is best for school or gym lockers and safes. The multi-dial is best for briefcases and bicycles.
TSA approved locks are combination locks recognized by the US that are extremely useful when you travel.
When you are a frequent traveler, you already know that security officials have the right to inspect your luggage. If you use an ordinary lock, they have the right to break your padlock if they cannot unlock it. Meanwhile, security personnel can open your luggage without causing any problems on your part by using the master key for TSA locks.
- Key-Based Lock
The key-based lock is the typical padlock that needs a key to unlock. The problem with this kind is that burglars can easily pick on the plenty of varieties of it.
The most secure kind of this lock is impossible to rekey. Yet, using this kind requires you to make sure never to lose your key. You will never be able to open your lock without it unless you destroy the padlock.
What Combination Padlock to Use
Determining what kind of combination lock to use boils down on where you are going to use it. The factors that you should consider when picking for the best for your stuff’s security are the following:
Combination locks come in different sizes. If you will use your lock for that safe in your home, it is alright to buy a bulky one. Yet, if you are an outdoor person who frequently goes from one place to another, a small combination padlock is the best choice for you.
Rust is the main issue on metal padlocks, and I do not think you want to use one. A rusty lock is messy and unreadable.
For this reason, it is crucial to choose a padlock that makes use of plated steel that withstands corrosion. Also, pick a hardened steel lock that will make burglars a hard time breaking it.
- TSA Approved
If you use the lock to secure your luggage as you travel, you need a TSA approved lock to save you time, effort, and money.
Yet, you do not need this kind of combination lock if you will use it on your locker.
Other Optional Features to Consider
- Color variations
If you have to use several padlocks on multiple bags, especially if the latter are identical, it is best to buy locks in various colors. Multiple colors allow you to have a clue about the content of your bags.
You can also use the colors to code your luggage based on the level of security needed. You can use red for the most important one and the blue one for the one that requires the least protection.
- Number System and Style
Combination locks are available in single and multiple dials. They also vary in the numbering system. Some make use of the 3-digit passcode while the others make use of 4.
Some padlocks make use of alphabets or alphanumeric system instead of numbers.
What I love the most among my favorite combination locks lists is the Anvil 3 Digit Luggage Cable Locks. Although it is like the Master Lock 653D because of its 3-digit combination, it still does the job of efficiently securing my stuff. I also love that this lock is TSA approved, which means that I do not have to worry about the baggage personnel breaking it at the airport.
I chose these lists because they all worked based on my experience, and I love the way these combination locks secure my keys and valuables.
However, you can choose your products based on the buying guide that I shared. It depends on the level of security you like to apply for your stuff and other features that you might need.
Once again, here are the five of my top pics and the summary of the main feature that might be useful to you.