The 5 Best Outdoor PTZ Security Camera (Reviewed 2020)
Last update on 2020-11-28 / Affiliate links / Ratings / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
As technology advances, so does home security. Not many people can afford a staff of security guards, but the next best thing is surveillance cameras.
The best outdoor PTZ security camera is one that can monitor what does on outside your home, and even better, can track movement to get the best possible video of people moving around.
A PTZ (ptz cameras) means it pans, tilts and zooms, so you can change the angle as needed to get the best picture. You can do this while monitoring the system yourself, and there is software that can do it automatically. This makes surveillance so much more effective, and the bests part is that it is not terribly expensive.
The Best Outdoor PTZ Camera
We have examined many of the top brands in our search for the best PTZ security camera, and we have picked out the ones we like best based on the things they can do, combined with ease of use and cost factors. The best pan tilt zoom camera is out there to give you the best of outdoor security, and here is where to start looking.
1. ZOSI 1080p PTZ Dome Security Camera Outdoor
This surveillance system has about everything you could need and is designed with the tech-savvy person at heart. It is wireless, so it cannot be easily disabled. It is a dome camera, so it offers a wide view of the area you are interested in. It pans, tilts and zooms so there are not many areas you will not be able to see clearly. It is made for outdoor use but is fine for indoor and outdoor applications.
A bonus with this system is something it calls “night color,” so you can see things at night in their natural color. This makes detail easier to recognize, and it has three modes of night vision that you can adjust according to your needs.
It also has a sound system, and you can have two-way conversations, which is great when the delivery man shows up and you are in the bathroom. Just tell them where to leave it. What sets this system apart is remote connectivity.
You can use various apps to access the system from anywhere, to see what is happening and even adjust the cameras remotely. You can do a lot with this system, and it does stuff for you as well. It has motion-detection software that can automatically adjust the cameras to record motion.
- Records in 1080p video for great picture quality
- Pans 355 degrees, tilts 90 degrees. Up to 5X zoom for a get field of view.
- Sound and light alarm can be set to go off with sensors.
- Two-way communication sound system
- Access it from anywhere. More than one person at a time can access the system too.
- Remote control, or automatic control, gives you the best of both worlds.
- Lifetime tech support at no extra cost.
- The system records on a 128G DS card, which will record a lot of videos. However, when it is full it starts at the beginning and overwrites what was recorded before. Using the cloud is a possible option to overcome this.
- It is not compatible with the Zosi smart app, nor is it with the DVR system. This could limit how much it can work with other systems, but for individual home use, this may not be an issue.
For home use, this system will be hard to be for all it does at the price. With the PTZ feature, there are almost no blind spots. Two-way audio is a nice feature, as well as sound and light alarm. What makes it stand out to us is the ability to access it from anywhere, making it great for when you are away from home.
2. SUNBA 1080p Starlight PoE+ IP PTZ Camera Outdoor
This system has an incredible 20X optical zoom, making it easy to get a closeup of just about anything. It offers up to 328 feet of night vision, so you won’t miss much of anything with this 24×7 surveillance system. This is ideal for a small business or for the home.
It uses Ethernet wiring but has Internet Protocol so is accessible from anywhere. The four-inch camera is not big but packs a powerful punch. It will be visible, but that often acts as a deterrent to criminals as well as anything else. It records in 1080p video quality and makes 2MP photos that are of very good quality.
You may access this system with your smartphone, or your desktop computer with software. The Ethernet wiring allows you to store all that is recorded on the Internet, so no worries about running out of space. it also can use a 128GB SD card to give you a hard copy immediately.
The zoom is powerful and high speed. It is a dome type camera, but the lense inside can go up or down 120 degrees, and pan up to 360 degrees so your field of view is excellent. With the 20X optical zoom, you will be able to get images from hundreds of feet away.
- The video quality may be the best thing this camera offers. 1080p video and 2MP pictures will be hard to beat.
- The ability to move the camera up an additional five degrees is unique for this kind of camera.
- The 20x optical zoom is a bonus, and you won’t lose much quality at long distances.
- 360-degree rotation of the entire frame
- Presets allow you to patrol around your property as often, and where, you like. You could change this as often as you like.
- Waterproof casing
- Smartphone control is built into the system
- The POE ethernet cord is not included. This provides both power and data transferral. A battery pack may be used instead.
- Motion detection is not as good as some other models, and may not work well in some modes
- Audio available, but the mic is not included in the package.
If high-quality videos and photos are what matters to you, this could be your camera. With the 20X zoom, you will also be able to get closeups. From a visual surveillance standpoint, this system will be hard to beat.
Some of the extras, like the Ethernet cord and the mic for the sound system, are not included and that is a drawback. The ability to lift the whole camera five degrees is also an interesting feature that gives you a tiny bit more flexibility, which was already great.
3. Amcrest 4MP Outdoor PTZ POE + IP Camera Pan Tilt
This system from Amcrest offers one of the best systems out there, though it does have one pretty big drawback. The camera itself is housed on a dome that can move 360 degrees in pan mode and can go up or down 90 degrees.
It offers a 12X zoom, which can go to 16X zoom with modification. This is a professional quality surveillance system by Amcrest prohd that offers the best of night and day vision.
It does not include a sound system, however. The company says one is in development, and it may be available eventually, but for now, it isn’t. But the system will do high-quality video and 4MP pictures. Everything goes directly to the cloud.
You may easily access live video or pictures from your smartphone or computer, from anywhere. You may also view previously recorded data that is automatically stored on the cloud. One bonus is the motion sensor that will send you an alert if there is motion detected. You can easily check your phone and see what is going on.
Many systems have a mobile app, and this one is seamless and easy to use. A nighttime vision reaches up to 280 feet which is an outstanding night vision range.
Another nice feature is a compression technology that reduces the size of big video files without losing quality. A 12V power supply is provided. You may use an Ethernet type connection for power but that is not included.
- Very good utilization of cloud technology. No need to worry about memory cards – but you can if you want to. It’s all in the cloud, so you lose nothing.
- High-quality video and 4MP pictures.
- Data encryption to ensure privacy
- Professional quality equipment but easy to install and maintain.
- Dome style camera allows for a lot of versatility, and almost no blind spots.
- Access to the system anytime from anywhere.
- Notifications for movement with the motion detector system
- No sound system. You could Alexa in tandem and have one, but this is something that is a concern.
- Higher priced than many similar systems.
- Some have complained about customer service
- Some have had trouble viewing it in a browser, though no complaints about smartphone use.
This is a very high-quality system that is not cheap, but if you are willing to spend the money you will be happy with this system. It does not have a sound system which is a big negative, but in our view, that is overcome by the exceptional quality of the video aspects.
Access the system from anywhere and get a notification the moment motion is detected. No matter if you are half the world away, one click on your phone and you can see what is going on. Cloud technology allows you to easily store as much data, for as long of a time period as you would like.
4. JideTech HD 1080P PTZ Outdoor POE Security
Don’t be fooled by the lower price of this system. It offers professional quality at a lower price than you would expect. It does not do everything the big boys do, but what it does, it does very well.
This system is ideal for a small area and can be used indoors. You could use it inside a small business, for instance, or on a porch of a home.
It has a dome style, making it great for installation on a ceiling looking downward. It can be adjusted to look in any direction you like, however. It offers 4X optical zoom and 2MP pictures. It is small at 2.5 inches, so it will not be distracting. Still, it is big enough to be noticed and that will deter some criminals.
Even with its small size, it can shoot 1080p video. Its range of motion is 355 degrees, and 90 degrees up or down. You may control the camera remotely as well.
It offers remote viewing and alerts let you know when motion has been detected. Quick power over Ethernet uses just one wire instead of two, which simplifies installation and limits interference with the surveillance camera.
- Lots of features and ability at a low price
- Alerts from sensors.
- Access the system from anywhere at any time.
- Presets allow for a very simple installation. Get started immediately and adust as you like later.
- Remote pan tilt functionality allows you to adjust the camera from any location.
- Compatible with any third-party software systems.
- Built-in lightning and surge protection, waterproof
- No sound system
- Requires a POE injector and switch, which are not included with the package.
- There are systems with higher quality images that do not cost a lot more
If you want to cover a small room and have a small budget, this is a great system for you. It is designed to cover the inside of a small business, or a porch or other small area of a home. It has good enough video and image quality to get the job done, and enough zoom to take care of most situations.
This would be a great addition to a larger system if you have a large area you wanted to keep track of. Compatibility with third-party software is a big plus. It offers great connectivity and great surveillance of not-so-big areas at a great price.
5. SV3C 1080P Outdoor PTZ WiFi Security Camera
This system is based on the Internet and offers wireless surveillance. This system could be installed almost anywhere, and is waterproof but should not be completely exposed to the elements.
While it is wireless it does not lack power. it has a motorized 5X automatic lense, and you can control the lens 355 degrees horizontally and 90 degrees vertically.
It is a lower-priced camera but still has motion detection and will alert you when motion is detected via email and a photo sent to you the same way. You may access the system from anywhere and see what is going on in real-time.
Another bonus is a sound system that allows you to speak with guests, or tell intruders to leave. It has an advanced night vision capability, with infrared technology. Night vision extends 165 feet, no matter how dark it is.
It is made of aluminum, so it is light, but also sturdy. It can be placed outside without worry. It is also compatible with many third-party software systems making this truly versatile.
It has an antenna that makes your wifi connection even stronger. It has a one-year warranty that includes 24-7 tech support.
- Great infrared night vision capabilities
- Two-way sound system a bonus for a system at this price
- Wireless, easy to install.
- Notifications of sensors and a photo included.
- Weatherproof construction make it installable almost anywhere
- Wired cable connection is available as an option.
- Software not compatible with Mac, but can still be viewed in a browser.
- Better zoom quality available
- Customer service always available, but only via email.
- Some people said instructions were not accurate or clear.
This system has some very nice features at a very good price. Two-way voice capability is a great plus and the night vision capability is at a level of much higher priced models. It offers all the standard fare of surveillance systems but is not as powerful as it could be.
There are more powerful zooms, and higher quality images available at a close price. If outstanding video quality is not essential, but you want good night vision, this is the system for you. This may be the best ptz outdoor camera, however, because of its construction and solid waterproofing technology.
While these next 6 wireless security camera options didn't quite make the list, they are still great options for your home security systems.
Our bottom line
All the letters involved in these surveillance cameras can get confusing. It’s hard to tell at times whether you are looking at the best ptz ip camera or the best outdoor ptz poe camera (ptz cameras).
We hope we have given you some ideas on how ptz surveillance cameras work, and how to go about finding the best one for your situation. The best may not be the most expensive, but it is the one with the most features.
We like the ZOSI 1080p PTZ Dome Security Camera Outdoor because it simply offers the most features at a sound price. Many ptz security cameras have a lot of features, and this one has all the normal features like great ability to pan, zoom and turn, and that is just the start. Two-way audio is an outstanding feature to have. Remote control or automated control lets you control the level of control you want. It sends you alerts and you can access and control the system from anywhere. Never worry about what’s happening at home again with this system. Reviews are generally good on this one across the board.
For the budget-minded shopper, the JideTech HD 1080P PTZ Outdoor POE Security is a nice option. It is one of the lower-priced models out there and offers enough to get the job done in most cases if it is not too big of an area. Reviews give it a thumbs up.
If you need a surveillance system for a small business or your home, the Zosi model is a good bet. If you need a system but don’t want to spend very much, the Jidetech is a nice way to go.
To check out and buy the Zosi model, click here.