You can use your ecobee3 with a wireless network or cable/DSL modem. But does it work without these features? We explain what does and does not work.
Yes, without a Wi-Fi connection, your ecobee3 will function and work as a traditional thermostat; To register and make an ecobee account, you need to connect the ecobee to Wi-Fi. So, it is recommended to connect it to your Wi-Fi to register your thermostat initially but after that, you can use it without the wifi.
After the registration procedure, you will lose most of the valuable features of the EcoBee device if you’re not connected to Wi-Fi, we list what will not function without wifi below:
- The thermostat will have no access to the weather data.
- You will not have access to the mobile app remotely.
- You will not be able to generate Home IQ and System reports if your thermostat is not connected to the internet.
- Features like Alexa and Home kit and other APIs cannot be operated. (1)
- It is challenging to pair the Smart Sensor with the thermostat as it cannot be done without an internet connection.
How Do Smart Thermostats Work?
Smart thermostats help owners conserve energy costs and develop calculated cooling and heating usage, providing them with significant savings. Physically a Smart Thermostat is just like the traditional one; hardwired. A Smart thermostat needs a Wi-Fi connection to work remotely. It can manually function as a standard thermostat if not connected to Wi-Fi. The working of the Smart Thermostat is done through an app in your smartphone, main thermostat control, and heating systems boiler. The heating and cooling system turn off automatically when you leave the house.
Does Ecobee Require An Internet Connection?
Ecobee requires an internet connection to make an account and get registered initially; other than that, it can work without an Internet connection, just like a traditional Thermostat. Referring to other reviews, it has been mentioned that working without Wi-Fi, you will not be able to use the most valuable features ecobee is provided. You will not be able to remotely control the temperature of cooling and heating if not connected to the internet. (2)
What features are available with an internet connection?
The features that work with the ecobee when using wifi are listed below:
- You can easily change and regulate the status of your thermostat through a mobile application or web portal.
- Schedule learning and create adjustments while you are at work or sleeping.
- The ecobee depends on weather data to regulate the safety of your compressor if your home system is a heat pump system. The thermostat does not get weather data if not connected to the internet.
- Alexa, Home Kit, and other APIs integrations are available and can be utilized if good Wi-Fi is connected.
- Scheduling of changing air filters and yearly maintenance can be set as reminders.
- You can also keep track of energy usage and problems occurring with the HVAC unit.
- Use effective assistant devices and connect with the ecobee thermostat to change and control temperature.
- Constant analytics combined with customization makes the smart thermostat attractive.
The comfort setting makes it possible for our home to be at the right temperature during any specific schedule. The comfort setting helps in the temperature control of the Ecobee. You can predefine the hotness or coolness setting at any specific day or time. While sleeping or away from the home comfort setting helps to regulate temperature control.
For example: If the temperature is low or falls below 70F, your ecobee thermostat can turn on the heating, and likewise, if the temperature is high or above 78F, the thermostat turns on the cooling. This temperature control is done when you are at home. However, when you are not at home, the heating is turned on when the temperature is below 62F; likewise, the cooling is turned on when the temperature increases to 85F.
We can adjust and access Comfort Settings to control Ecobee via the following steps:
- Tapping on the menu in the thermostat App.
- Choosing and customizing the comfort setting you want.
- Opening the temperature control and adjust it to the desired temperature you need.
- After switching to your desired temperature, save the settings.
- After saving, you can adjust the schedule to activate it accordingly.
You may want to check the video below;
Ecobee lets you connect your thermostat to your smart home very easily and quickly. Ecobbe3 is the best option for you to invest less and buy a smart thermostat installation. The abilities and features of Ecobbee3 and Ecoobee4 are the same except for the integration of Alexa in Ecobee4. In contrast, you can achieve the related functionality by buying an Amazon Echo or Dot with your Ecobee3 to connect Alexa-enabled devices.
You may want to check other learning guides below;
(1) APIs – https://www.ibm.com/cloud/learn/api
(2) cooling and heating – https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/principles-heating-and-cooling