The most effective method to secure your valuables, like jewelry and money, is to put them in a fireproof safe. But we know for a fact that a fireproof document safe is quite costly. What other options do you have to hide them?
Here, we will show you the easy do-it-yourself (DIY) diversion safe ideas you can do at home with no crafting skills needed, and maybe you can create or make the best diversion safe.
Empty toothpick container inside a decorative-candle secret safe
Here you learn how to transform an empty toothpick container into something that may look very normal on top of the countertop and not raise suspicion. This diversion safe is the perfect way to hide your money and jewelry. No one will think that something is hidden there. Instead, they will assume it is just a standard decor candle. Hence no one will attempt to open it.
You need the following:
- Empty Toothpick container or similar small container with a screw cap
- Decor candle larger than the size of the container
- Cutter or cutter blade
- Draw an outline at the bottom of the candle. It should be the exact measure of the opening of the toothpick container.
- Start carving from the bottom, leaving enough space inside for the container.
- When the carving is done, insert the container inside, and it’s ready for display.
There you have it; a perfect secret safe to hide your personal belongings.
DVD case diversion safe
Today, people are using streaming platforms to watch their favorite shows and movies. That is why DVDs are becoming irrelevant. And converting your DVD case into a diversion safe is an intelligent choice to secure your belongings. (1)
- Old DVD cases
- Empty round container with a screw cap that has a similar diameter to the DVD
- Glue gun
- Glue stick
- Sharp cutter
How to make it:
- Begin by cutting through every other case using a sharp cutter, from the front cover to the section where the DVD lies typically. Obtain a uniform cutout.
- Remove the cutouts.
- Do this six to eight times more to fully cover the empty container.
- Next is to cut out two DVD cases, one for the base case and the other for the top material. These two must only have 1 cut.
- For the base section, only the upper portion of the case is removed. And for the top case, the part where the DVD sits must be cut, leaving the front cover.
- Next is to stack the cases together using hot glue starting from the base section.
- glue the empty container.
- Continue stacking every single DVD case until the container’s height is equalized.
- And to complete the project, finish it by affixing the top cover section.
Tip: Use a DVD case with a label of boring movies. So that no one will really think about picking it.
You can now hide stuff inside the pile of DVD cases. And to make it look genuine, place a DVD plate on the top case to make it look like a natural collection.
Empty mint container storage idea for your car seat cup-holder
The most common diversion safe idea is the famous sugar-free treats, Ice Breaker Mints. That is because it fits perfectly in the size of the car seat cup holder.
Things to have:
- Empty ice breaker mint container
- Double-sided tape
- Old mousepad or other similar rubber composites (2)
- A scissor
How to do it:
- Use a pen to draw a perfect measurement of the cup holder’s size.
- Using the circle outline, cut a piece of a mousepad with the most precise measurements possible with your cutout.
- Once finished cutting, grab two pieces of double-sided tape and place them over the empty container.
- Lastly, put the rubber cutout on top of the container with double-sided tape.
You may now place money inside and position the secret storage container at the bottom of the car seat cup holder—a simple, cheap, and private safe idea.
Glue stick secret storage
A typical all-purpose glue stick like the one used in schools to attach paper, cardboard, foam boards, and much more can stash money.
You need the following:
- Elmer’s glue stick
- Clear resealable plastic or small cellophane
- The first thing is to take out the whole glue stick inside by twisting the bottom to push up the glue stick all the way.
- Once you have the whole glue stick, set it aside for the next step.
- Put the money inside the clear resealable plastic and roll it to fit inside the empty glue stick container.
- After putting the money inside, cut out a little piece of the glue stick that you can stick on top and put the cap on.
This trick works well in hiding your extra cash, and you can bring it or place it anywhere in your room, and no one will know about it.
Plastic pill bottle
- Empty plastic pill bottle
- One small stone.
- Heated glue gun and glue stick
How to do it:
- Get the plastic pill bottle cap.
- Using a heated glue gun, glue the small stone/rock at the outer part of the pill cap.
- After that, you should place spare keys, USB drives, and other small valuables that will fit inside the pill container and cover it.
- Go outside to look for a rocky area in your yard.
- Bore a small hole to insert the bottle up to the cap portion displaying the stone.
- Blend it with other small stones. Take note of the place so you can easily find it when you need it. Alternatively, you might position a marker to ensure that you can locate it.
More tips at:
Here you have simple and effective tricks on how youto make a diversion safe at home. These creative ideas are definitely worth a try to keep your extra cash and precious jewels secure.
However, these are not advisable storage for large amounts of money and confidential documents. Instead, ready-made safes are available on the market today and are decent choices if you need them right away.
If you know different ways to create a diversion safe, we would love to read them in the comment below.
(1) DVD – https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/whats-a-dvd-and-how-does/
(2) rubber composites – https://www.reference.com/science/elements-rubber-49957c3cf1f2b54c