The Philips Hue is probably the most successful lighting system you can find these days. It is a highly versatile system that provides plenty of range in terms of color, lighting, and smart controls. One of its key features is the ability to work with smart assistants like Alexa and let you use voice commands, among other things, to turn it on and off.
However, there may be times when you need to remove your bulb from your Alexa device and use it with some other system. This could either be a different assistant or some other system where you can repurpose this bulb better.
How to Reset the Philips Hue Bulb with Alexa
The option we’re going to mention provides a convenient way for you to reset your Alexa bulb. You can do it with an Echo device with a Zigbee hub built-in (Smart devices like Amazon Echo, Philips Hue, IKEA Tradfri, all use Zigbee).
The first thing you need to do is find the serial number of your bulb. You will find it at the bottom of the bulb, and it is a six-character serial number. Note down the serial number as you will need to enter it in the app. (1)
In general, to reset the Phillips hue bulb with Alexa you need to turn the bulb on and follow these steps:
- Open the Alexa app and tap on Devices.
- Tap on the “+” icon and select Add Device.
- Tap the question mark and select the “How do I put my Zigbee device into pairing mode” option.
- On the screen that opens, select the “Reset Philips Hue Light” option.
- On the next screen, you will enter the bulb’s serial number (written on the bulb) and hit Continue.
Alexa will now reset your hue bulb, then it will discover it and connect the bulb to the Zigbee hub for you.
Resetting the Philips Hue Bulb Without a Hue Bridge
If you do not have a Bridge to reset your hue bulb, you can use the Philips app to reset it. Here are the steps you need to follow to make that happen:
- Download the Philips app from the app store
- Follow the connection process to pair your bulb with the app
- Reset the hue bulb by going into the settings and selecting the factory reset option.
Please remember that this erases all the memory functions and schedules saved for the bulb. If you want to reuse them later, then be sure to note them down. (2)
Reset Philips Hue Bulb with a Bridge
If you have a Philips Hue bulb Bridge, then you already have the easiest way to perform a reset on your bulb. This method also requires a serial number which you can find using the method described earlier. The steps you need to take to reset your hue bulb are as follows:
- Download the Hue app on your smartphone and open it.
- Go to the Settings menu and search for the Light Setup option.
- Instead of selecting the Search option, tap the Add serial number option and enter the serial number you retrieved earlier.
- Tap on Done and then select the Search option. Before doing this, be sure to check if your bulb is turned on.
- The app will search for the bulb, reset it, and add it to your Hue app system.
Resetting a Hue Bulb Using a Hue Dimmer Switch
This method is also convenient and easy but requires you to own a Hue Dimmer Switch. You need to do the following:
- Bring the dimmer switch within 6 inches of the bulb.
- Press and hold the power on and off buttons simultaneously until both the switch’s LED and the bulb itself blink.
- The bulb has been successfully reset and can be controlled fully with the Hue Dimmer Switch now.
Below are other Alexa and Philips Hue learning guides articles that you might be interested to read.
- How to change Alexa location
- How to turn off explicit filter on Alexa
- How long do Philips Hue bulbs last
(1) serial number – https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/serial-number
(2) memory functions – http://pressbooks-dev.oer.hawaii.edu/psychology/chapter/how-memory-functions/