Guns have a tendency of building up humidity. When this happens, excess humidity can cause damage to your guns, ammo, and even your shooting gear. How would you remedy this? The answer to the solution is a gun safe dehumidifier.
Regardless of the weather conditions, you are well assured that a gun safe dehumidifier will protect your shooting gear and ammunition. This article will explain how to install a gun safe dehumidifier.
You may want to see the best gun safe dehumidifier here!
Why Should you Use a Dehumidifier
A dehumidifier eliminates moisture from around its surroundings. It’s intended to soak in moisture from all spots inside the safe to ensure it is completely dry and humidity-free. Here, you can read learn what humidity should a gun safe be at.
Most dehumidifier models are made of metal and they can easily rust and corrode if constantly exposed to moisture for a long period of time. Your guns are also made out of metal so you will notice some rusts and chipped parts if they’re exposed to moisture.
Here’s an article about what can you put in a gun safe to keep moisture out.
How to Install a Dehumidifier in a Gun Safe
When doing this, keep in mind to always have a wire with a clean-cut end and never split the wires. The plug housing has a back cover that you will need to remove so once that is done, you will see 2 prongs. Place the power cord into the cavity with the prongs and ensure that it is inserted as far into the housing as possible.
Then you can reinstall the housing cover and ensure it’s completely shut. The cord would lock inside the plug housing. Finally, plug the rod into the power outlet and it should start working.
How to Connect a Dehumidifier Rod in a Gun Safe
Rod type dehumidifiers are popular among gun owners and they play a vital role in protection against moisture and rust in shooting gear. Heating air inside rises up as well as temperature and the rod vents the heat out bringing with it moisture. Here is how to install a rod type:
- Find a suitable spot where the contents and shooting gear isn’t in the way for good airflow between the firearms, the bottom of your safe and the top of it
- Detach the power cord from the dehumidifying rod then lay the rod on the floor-bottom of the safe, towards the front side
- Pass the power cord through the hole from the back of the safe and reattach it to the rod; you have to drill a hole if there isn’t one
- Now turn on the rod which should be working fine. Check the electric humidifier is working with no issues while providing maintenance at times to ensure it’s working
Check video below;
How to Connect a Dehumidifier Rod in a Gun Safe
The following items are important to be aware of before installing a model in your safe for your shooting gear:
- Most models are for indoor use so you shouldn’t use them outdoors
- The model, plug or power cord are not to be in immerse or in any contact with water or any liquids
- Keep the model away from the presence of explosives or flammable fumes (1)
- Don’t use the model if the power cord is damaged
- Make sure that the product is unplugged when installing or handling
- Don’t use the plug included with the product on other devices
- Don’t use any other plug with your product
How to Choose the Right Dehumidifier Model for you
You can choose between two types of dehumidifier models that are commonly used inside a safe. One is the silica gel beads variety and the other is the rod models. Both models serve the same safety purpose for your gun safe but operate slightly differently. Whichever model you choose, it depends on your choice of what works best for you, your shooting gear, and your gun safe.
The silica gel models are the safest to handle, it would be a good choice. You can place it anywhere safely in your gun safe. This dehumidifier model can absorb any amount of moisture built up in the air and works similar to those small packets of silica gel found in shoe boxes for keeping out moisture.
The rod type dehumidifier is an electrical device that warms up the air in the gun safe. It makes air inside the safe dryer and produces similar results of a silica gel gun safe dehumidifier but serves better in removing moisture and prevents damage.
The following table displays the top gun safe dehumidifiers in the market today:
Running a power cord to a gun safe dehumidifier to keep your shooting gear is not a difficult task to eliminate moisture. This is an essential process for gun owners who need to maintain their equipment from damage from moisture built up over time.
(1) flammable – https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/flammable/flam.html
Were Sorry This Was Not Helpful!
Let Us Improve This Article!
Please Tell Us How We Can Improve This Article.