Today a large number of people have a safe to store weapons, ammunition, and other important or valuable objects. Bolting down to the floor is often not an option because it may be a rented house. Below are some very efficient techniques for this task.
If you want to know how to secure a safe without bolting it to the floor we recommend you continue reading. We will discuss the following below:
- Your floor remaining intact
- Each technique requires an acceptable budget
- The task is easy and quick to perform
- You incorporate security and protection for your personal objects
If you want to bolt a safe or gun safes, here are some alternatives. Securing the safe to the floor is very easy. If you don’t want to drill the concrete floor, you’re in the right place. Let’s look at each of these techniques and get down to business.
Use Floorboards to Hide the Safe
It’s not necessary to bolting your safe and secure a safe to the floor with these other options. Sometimes, there are homes with wooden floors that are the perfect place to hide a safe. To do this, it can be very useful to use boards on the floor that are removable when the user wants to access the safe.
In homes where there are no wooden floors, it is not possible to apply this technique. It is a prerequisite to have a wooden floor in order to obtain a good result. This technique can provide some advantages. One of the most obvious benefits is that a large amount of space in the home can be saved.
At the same time, of course, it is one of the best hiding places that manages to throw off most intruders. Beyond that, there is an equally obvious disadvantage to using this technique. The user will not have quick and easy access to his or her safe. So, if weapons and ammunition are stored here in case of emergency, it would not be a very suitable place for it.
Some people decide to carry out the procedure of installation and application of this technique by themselves. It is necessary to consider that some errors could occur on the wooden boards. When this happens the floor can be damaged and the final shape of the boards could be different from how they were before.
That is why some professionals can work perfectly with wooden floorboards. Even professionals often have a wide variety of hand and power tools that most users do not have. Users who want to do this work can save money by hiring these professionals.
Those people who are ready to start work will need some materials. These tools are really necessary for those who really want to do and complete this work. Anyway, these are a few tools that most people can get without too much effort.
Grinder: This tool is used peacefully to work with the floorboards. It also can be used to cut wood boards that are too long to work with.
Lever tool: There is a wide variety of tools that you should use to lift the wood boards from the floor. It is simply a technique that provides good versatility.
1. Lifting the floorboards: You will need to use the lever tool and a grinder to be able to access the space under the wood boards. It is essential to lift as many wooden boards as necessary to be able to locate the safe. Otherwise, the amount of space will not be sufficient.
2. Obtaining the amount of space needed: It can be very useful to previously map out the most appropriate place to carry out this work. Sometimes different mechanisms or pipes can be found under some wooden boards. After checking that there is nothing like that in the place you have chosen, you can continue.
3. Finishing the process: Once your safe is correctly installed under the wooden boards you will be able to finish. You should not seal the floorboards here if you want to gain access to your safe. When the objects inside the safe will not be used for a long time, sealing the floor can be an additional way to increase security.
Glue the Safe
You can bolt your safe, but also you can secure your safe to the floor without bolting it. It is a very easy and cheap technique to implement in just a few minutes. It is not necessary to have mechanical or technical knowledge that is too specific to carry out this work.
You also have the possibility to avoid screwing the floor producing a permanent hole. It can be very useful to have the most appropriate space to be able to install your safe. You should make a hidden space so that intruders or undesirable people do not have access to your safe. The following materials are necessary:
High strength polymer glue: Another name for this implement is super glue. As its name indicates, it is a glue that is applied when the high durability of fixation is required. This glue is used with metals, ceramics, glass, or wood that is permanently glued. (1)
1. Taking the measurements: As we have mentioned, make sure to find the most appropriate place to fix your safe. It is necessary to remember that this place is very important since it determines the easy or difficult access you will be able to obtain.
It should not be any space too far from the home or too obviously insight. Along with this, you should take the measurements of the safe to know if the chosen area provides enough space.
2. Locating the safe: Once you have to make sure that you have chosen the area with the correct space, you should place the safe. It is recommended that you use tape to mark the area where the safe will be located. You should take the measurements or dimensions of your safe to be able to do a smooth job.
3. Using the glue: The tape you have placed on it will only be useful to know where exactly to apply the glue. It is highly recommended to be generous when applying the glue.
You can also use a scraper or similar tool to more evenly spread all the glue. Apply as much glue as you need, but don’t overdo it. Simply place the safe on top of the glue to finish this task.
After a few hours, the glue will be completely dry and the safe will be strongly attached to the floor. It is highly recommended to choose the most suitable area for this work, since removing the safe is very difficult after it strongly adheres to the floor.
Without a doubt, another highly efficient method is to add an excellent amount of weight to any type of safe. This can provide a greater difficulty when someone wants to rob your safe directly. Most thieves do not crack the safe and take the contents, they usually take the safe itself and later work on breaking in, increasing the weight of it can make a thief struggle to remove the safe and require specialized dollys to wheel it out. Again this is meant to slow down thieves and make them come back or give up before you return to the home. You will also be able to prevent the safe from being stuck to the floor through drilled holes.
This is a very easy method to perform although the cost is also very accessible. That is why it is one of the most chosen techniques by many users who do not want to spend a large amount of money. The main technique requires very few implements and no tools. All you will need is:
Weights: It may be advisable to choose conventional weights or the typical weights one can find in a gym. If you do not have these objects in your home, as is usually the case, it is also possible to use any other type of heavy object. A home implement weighing 50 pounds will be more than sufficient. If you have other objects heavier than that, it will be much more useful.
1. Precise location: As we have mentioned before, you make to have a precise area when applying this technique. Beyond being a technique to fix the safe to the floor without drilling holes, this does not mean that it is the definitive option.
This technique is only intended to add a certain difficulty to prevent an intruder from taking your safe. If your safe is correctly hidden in some area of the home, it will be much more difficult for an intruder to find it. In the same way, remember the ease of access that a certain area of the home can provide.
2. Adding extra weight: Many people might think that adding weight to the outside and top of the safe is a good idea. This may be a little difficult since it would be necessary to secure these heavy objects with some kind of sealant or glue. It will be much more useful to add all this extra weight to the inside of the safe.
That is why the objects chosen by each user to add weight are very important. It is necessary to take into account that typical gym weights can be one of the most useful options. This type of object is made of metal and heavy materials.
These objects can offer a great weight without occupying too much volume in the space. As the objects are heavier, they require less space inside your safe. Typical gymnasium weights can provide a large weight without taking up too much space in your safe.
Conversely, some heavy objects take up too much space. The objects you choose will need a certain amount of space in your safe.
After placing the most appropriate objects inside the safe, intruders will not be able to take the unit away. As a result, your safe will be too heavy for thieves to lift.
Using a Heavy Steel Slab
For all those who do not wish to screw down the safe to the floor of their home, they can screw down a heavy steel slab. This is another option of the highest efficiency to prevent an intruder from taking a gun safe without bolting. The procedure is very easy to perform for most users. By choosing this option you can avoid hiring a professional. (2)
A large pallet piece or a steel slab in combination with the gun safe is a very heavy result for anyone. This efficiently prevents a thief from taking your gun safe out of the house. It is not only heavy objects that are attached but also objects that are too bulky. In order to perform this technique, you will need the following:
Inch thick steel piece from ¼: To add more difficulty and weight to the gun safe without bolting, the steel piece needs to be thick. This type of steel piece can be easily made to measure. The excellent width of the f piece adds to the difficulty for a thief. Proper dimensions prevent a thief from being able to pass through a door frame with this piece of steel next to the gun safe.
Electric drill: There are several drills that can be very useful in this situation. For greater freedom of movement, cordless drills are recommended. You need the right size to screw in. The right size will depend on the screws you want to implement in this technique.
1. Preparing the materials: Once again, here you make sure to choose the most appropriate area in order to put the safe inside. In fact, remember that only the gun safe without bolting will be attached to the steel slab. This means that the steel sheet is not attached to the floor of your home. It is still a gun safe that could be transported. Once you have found the most suitable location you can place the steel slab on the concrete floor. You should then place your safe on top of the steel sheet.
2. Screwing in: In most cases, a gun safe has certain holes that are already made at the factory. Of course, this saves a great deal of time, since you do not have to drill holes in the gun safe. In fact, sometimes this may be impossible with conventional tools.
In particular, it is safe and cannot be easily drilled. Once you find where the holes are in the safe, you should try to mark them on the steel sheet. This way, you can match the holes you make in the steel sheet with the holes in the safe.
Once you drill holes in the steel slab using your drill, you will be able to screw and secure your safe in place. All in all, this procedure does not require much time once you have all the necessary attachments. If you wish, you can add some glue between the steel sheet and the safe. This would add more adhesion, although normally the bolting is more than enough.
Some Useful Tips to Avoid Mistakes When Securing a Safe
Once you have chosen the most appropriate technique your safe will be better protected. Beyond that, there are a few additional tips we can add for you to get a better result. You will have the ability to avoid beginner’s mistakes that could diminish the security of your most precious items kept in the safe.
- Do not choose very obvious places: The techniques we have mentioned only add a certain level of difficulty that thieves cannot take your safe. This does not really mean that they are foolproof methods in any type of situation. It is advisable to choose a subtle place hidden inside the home. This way your most valuable items will be better protected. Bolting your safe to a wall is another option.
- Large steel sheets: If you have decided to use the steel sheets technique you can easily add some more difficulty. Instead of choosing a single steel sheet, you can purchase two steel pieces. You must choose a large area to perform this procedure. Using a weld you can join the two steel pieces. This way, the piece of steel obtained will be too big to go through any door.
- Choosing the right place: Any of the techniques we have described here will add a certain amount of difficulty so thieves cannot steal your safe. This means that you must choose the right area. Your safe will be very difficult to transport from place to place once it is fixed in the wrong place. In order to avoid all these mistakes, simply choose the right place from the beginning. Bolting your safe to the wall is another alternative. The floor must be clean before secure your safe to the floor. If you secure your safe to the floor with dirt below, this may be a problem.
- Avoiding heavy objects with moisture: In the event that you have decided to add weight to the inside of your safe, you should avoid some particular objects to secure the safe. Objects that are wet can affect the weapons, ammunition, and other objects that you have decided to keep in your safe. The weights you put inside your safe should be completely dry and clean. Remember that these objects will be inside your safe for a long time.
Securing the safe to the floor doesn’t require bolting. With the proper technique, know how to secure a safe without bolting it to the floor will be very easy. It is not necessary to opt for conventional techniques to bolt your safe. This set of techniques are very easy to apply for the vast majority of users.
You may check our guides for gun safes such as the best gun safe for money, the best gun safe for money, and best gun safe under 1000 among others. You can also read our article on how you can safely transport your gun in a boat. I hope these article guides help you!
(1) polymer – https://www.britannica.com/science/polymer
(2) steel – https://sciencing.com/properties-uses-steel-7271721.html