Lorex vs AvertX (What You Need To Know – 2022)
How we reviewed: hands-on tests, hours studying Lorex and AvertX sites, and reading 100+ customer reviews.
When it comes to security cameras, both Lorex and AvertX have created a reputation for providing quality products and services. This is the reason why they are also the leaders in bullet security camera systems and video recorders. So, it was inevitable that the two brands be compared against each other. We have had sufficient experience with both brands and during our testing, we found several interesting points about each device. After putting each through different tests and recording their performance, we have created this detailed Lorex vs AvertX comparison for you.
For a quick comparison, you can consider the following points about each device:
- Get Lorex if:
- Your preference is the maximum viewing angle
- You want good night vision capability
- You want a bullet camera system that can withstand tough weather conditions.
- Get AvertX if:
- You want top-quality video output with high resolution
- Machine learning for accurate detection of vehicles and people.
In terms of overall performance, Lorex does seem to be a clear winner from our testing. The company has managed to create a decent customer base which has developed due to its reliable products and great customer support. While AvertX is also a decent contender in this battle, it simply does not stack up to Lorex in terms of:
- Better customer service
- Highly compatible devices
- Battery-powered options
- Smart home hub
Lorex Security Systems
Starting off with Lorex, Lorex is a well-established company that has been around for quite some time now in the home security niche. The company offers a range of devices, both wired and wireless, and they provide multiple combinations of features to suit the needs of different users.
The brand has managed to carve out a sizeable chunk of the market and is continuing to grow, thanks to its reliable devices and good customer support services. While there are some options in the Lorex product line that you could call a bit expensive, they do manage to provide value for money.
One thing that sets Lorex apart from most other security systems providers is that they do not offer professional monitoring. However, that is an exclusive extra that many people do not choose to opt for in the first place, especially in home setups. Furthermore, the company does counter this lack of service with the option to insert memory cards in several of their bullet camera models which means you can record everything that happens on your premises and view the footage whenever you want.
The company also offers users a limited one-year warranty covering any manufacturing faults found in the products. However, they do offer an extended warranty for repairs and replacements that can last for up to five years.
As far as the pricing goes, their standalone Wi-Fi cameras are where the lowest options come from. These start at around $50 and with the entire range of options included, you can expect to pay as much as $7,300 for top-of-the-line IP camera systems.
One key aspect that many users find concern with is installation. Many companies provide great services, but their equipment is just too darn difficult to install and set up. That is not the case for Lorex as their products are extremely easy to install. You certainly do not need a professional technician to come and install your cameras, at least not for the basic home use range.
AvertX Security Systems
AvertX is a company that may have become popular in the last few years, but it does carry some deep roots in security systems. The company is known for providing some of the best quality imagery in security cameras out there today and it offers a variety of products to support that claim.
The company is known for being one of the first to introduce 4k security cameras, especially in the consumer market. Its home camera systems are quite popular, thanks to a bunch of unique options that you can find on its devices.
What sets AvertX apart from most of its competitors is its focus on using tech to enhance user experience. It is one of the few companies that offer a good quality facial and object recognition solution for in-home cameras using machine learning. Web connectivity is also its strong suit as you can view the footage of your cameras from pretty much anywhere in the world.
However, in this AvertX vs Lorex comparison, it is important to note that such high-quality imagery and services come with a hefty price tag. Most of the options that you can find in AvertX’s product line are expensive when compared to other options, especially Lorex. Of course, this is because the products are meant for heavy use and people who like to tinker with their cameras and their features would undoubtedly enjoy the experience with this option.
Lorex vs AvertX: Features
When compared to each other directly, there are a few options that you can immediately distinguish between these two companies. We will share some of these features here while explaining how they perform in that area.
- Starting with video quality, it is clear that AvertX is the dominant option here. It has multiple cameras that offer 4k video recording with crisp results and great playback quality. Lorex is simply not as good, at least when it comes to daylight recording incomparable models.
- Night vision is a place where things take an unexpected turn. The quality delivered by Lorex in night vision is far superior to what you get from AvertX systems. This is primarily due to the Color Night Vision (CNV) technology Lorex offers on several of its cameras. Having nighttime footage in full color is a huge plus point and any user would appreciate it greatly.
- Motion detection is an area where AvertX holds an advantage, but not much. While AvertX devices do come with machine learning technology to constantly improve their performance in detecting humans and other objects, the Smart Motion Detection offered by Lorex does stand up quite well in terms of performance and accuracy. (1)
- Installation is one area where Lorex has found fame as well. The systems offered by Lorex, especially the simpler home setups are all easy to install. That means users do not need to get help from a professional installation crew and can just do it by themselves. AvertX does offer some easy-to-setup options but is generally found to have more complex setup processes for its security systems when compared to Lorex cameras.
- Price is a point where Lorex cameras provide an obvious advantage with their standalone home cameras starting as low as $50. AvertX also has some budget options, but they do not provide the same value for money and most of its other offerings are generally more expensive when compared to Lorex.
- Technical support is a critical part of DIY setups and both companies offer support for their customers. After experiencing both teams for various queries and procedures, Lorex came on top for having a much more effective support setup that also operated 24/7. AvertX also has a good support setup, but the more complex systems and user limitations make for a less than ideal experience.
For most people, the performance and value given by Lorex systems would make it the obvious choice for their needs. However, that only covers users who have basic surveillance requirements in or outside their homes and are not looking for professional monitoring setups.
Lorex vs AvertX: Network Video Recorder (NVR) Comparison
While security camera devices may battle each other in many ways, what truly makes a security system worthwhile is the NVR setup attached to it. Both companies offer NVR devices that offer a range of options for IP systems and CCTV use.
As far as Lorex is concerned, you can easily see that it is the budget option because its Network Video Recorder offers limited features beyond the motion detection option and video recording. Their signature 4K device offers support for up to 8 channels and offers voice control features that can be used via smart home devices. The proprietary Lorex Home app also comes in handy for monitoring and configuring the device and cameras.
AvertX NVR is significantly more powerful than what Lorex has to offer and can be easily chosen for professional use. The A800+ ProConnect offers 8 channels of video which can also be expanded to 24 channels if needed. That makes it highly suitable for large setups. The device also has Apple TV support, and you can expect great motion detection from it, thanks to the company implementing machine learning technology.
Lorex vs AvertX: Other Devices
In terms of security camera systems, both companies offer a wide range of device options that can help you create a comprehensive security system. Lorex offers battery-powered security camera options, which make it much more convenient for portable use and makes it preferable for home users. When it comes to easy usability, Lorex offers a complete package, despite being a step behind in terms of raw performance compared to AvertX.
This comparison is not just about finding a winner but also deciding which option suits what type of customers. Lorex does have a dominant presence in the market and in terms of basic functionality, it is a clear winner. However, that is only the case if you want a simple and easy-to-use system with limited frills and features. When it comes to raw performance, durability, and long-term professional use, Avertx does offer a much better package, making it an exclusive option for corporate customers. (2)
Take a look at some of our related articles below.
- Best battery-powered security camera
- Best outdoor wireless security camera system with DVR
- What to look for when buying a home security camera system
(1) detecting humans – https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/
(2) type of customers – https://www.zendesk.com/blog/types-of-customers/
Senior Writer & Director
John Fox has been working as a security consultant for over 20 years. During his time in the industry, he’s learned about what it takes to ensure your home and family are always safe. With Safe Now, he’s tried to take those two decades of experience and share it with others. His goal now is to help others figure out how to make the right choices for their businesses and families.